You will have noticed that I have a lot of guest artists stopping by my blog. The posts on Diversions pretty much come from whatever I am reading at the time. Right now The Boston Painters by RH Ives Gammell is occupying a little of my evenings so Frederic Vinton, Edmund C. Tarbell, William McGregor Paxton and their friends will be making an appearance in the next week or so.
I was gratified to get Sir Joshua Reynold's stamp of approval on using some of my "leisure time" in the reading of good books. Of course, I would do this with or without his approbation, but I set aside a little time each evening as I ride my reclining bike (stationary) or on lazy, hazy weekend afternoons while lying on the sunlit carpeted artroom floor.
Speaking of reading, I have been making up a list of some titles from FB and 3D friends that may interest you. Tom Dunlay discovered a site online which has free downloadable publications. Tom was a student of RH Ives Gammell - as was my teacher, Carl Samson. It's cool to get the names of some of the titles that they as students were encouraged to read. I'm sure there are more, but these are a great start:
- Velasquez : R. A. M. Stevenson . Author: R. A. M. StevensonPublisher: G.BELL & SONS, LTD.
- The Training of the Memory in Art and the Education of the Artist . Author: Horace Lecoq de Boisbaudran, translated by L. D. Luard . (teacher of Rodin, L'Hermitte and other famed French artists)
- The Classic Point of View, Six Lectures on Painting (1911) . Author: Kenyon Cox (1856-1919) . Required reading in the classes of RH Ives Gammell
- Eugène Fromentin, Painter and Writer, 1883 . Author: Gonse, Louis . . Required Reading in the classes of RH Ives Gammell
- Frank Duveneck (1918) . Author: Heermann, Norbert
- The American Magazine of Art . 1916
Other Recommended Books
- Background with Figures, Autobiography of Cecilia Beaux
- The Boston Painters . Author: RH Ives Gammell
- Life in the Studio (Lilian and Philip Hale) . Author: Nancy Hale
- Oil Painting Techniques and Materials . Author: Harold Speed
- The Practice and Science of Drawing . Author: Harold Speed
- Alla Prima . Author: Richard Schmid