Monday, January 9, 2023

Philip de Laszlo: King Edward VII's Portrait

"King Edward VII of Great Britain"
by Philip de Laszlo
Philip de Laszlo wrote, "While I was painting Princess Victoria I had received a command to paint a head-and-shoulders of the King in civilian clothes. This gave me great delight, for I felt immensely attracted to His Majesty's personality.

A more comfortable chair was brought in for him and close to it was placed a small table on which was a box of cigars with matches and a bell. He had promised me only three short sittings. Each lasted about an hour and the entire portrait was finished in not more than five hours.

I painted the King in his ordinary redingote*, which was the fashion at the time. He also had on one of those large neckties which were usually worn with the redingote and held together with a pin. When His Majesty noticed that I was painting it, he said, 'I see, Laszlo, you are painting my tie. Please notice that it is not a ready-made tie. I arrange it myself, so see that you make that plain in the picture, for no gentleman wears a ready-made tie.' Later, when he saw that I was painting the coat, he said, 'I see that you are going to paint my button. Come nearer, and you will perceive that it is not an ordinary button, but has a very fine ivory inlaid line.'

During the second sitting His Majesty's private secretary, Lord Knollys, came into the room with some official documents in his hand. Before he began to read them, he looked at the King, then at me in such a way that left me in no doubt that he wished me to retire. I went on painting, however, and the King continued to smoke his cigar, smiling at me. 'Laszlo,' he said, 'Lord Knollys will read to me, and you won't have ears, you understand?' 'Yes, sir,' I replied.

Lord Knollys began to read the list of forthcoming birthday honours. Among them he mentioned the names of Hubert Herkomer and Sargent as proposed for Knighthood. It was certainly a curious coincidence that I should be present, for I admired the work of both artists, particularly Sargent's. 'Yes, but about Sargent,' said His Majesty when Lord Knollys had finished. 'Is he a British Sargent?' 'I am afraid not, sir,' replied Lord Knollys. 'I am very sorry to hear that,' said the King. 'There is no one on whom I would more willingly have conferred that honour. Sargent is a great artist whose work will live.'

Even de Laszlo, accustomed as he was to paint at great speed, could hardly do full justice to King Edward in three sittings. Although the portrait cannot rank as one of his best works, it is at least simple and unambitious, and a remarkable example of what he could accomplish in three sittings. The interest of the picture is confined to what he was able to see and to record in the face alone. His Majesty expressed himself pleased with it, and it now hangs in Marlborough House."

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Portrait of a Painter" by Owen Rutter.) 

*red·​in·​gote: A fitted outer garment, such as a double-breasted coat with wide flat cuffs and collar worn by men in the 18th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment