Friday, October 6, 2023

Frederic Lord Leighton: His Future Course Settled

"Study at a Reading Desk" by Frederic Leighton
"Frederick Leighton's family spent the winter of 1842-43 in Berlin, where his father had the finishing touches put to his son's fluency in German. Another great step was taken in the Prussian capital, where Dr. Leighton allowed his son to attend the drawing classes of the Royal Academy. Whilst he loyally devoted his school time to his more solid studies, the boy spent his leisure in following his own bent. Very many drawings and sketches of his are preserved in book form and in loose sheets. 

Some of these early efforts were lying about on a table in Dr. Leighton's salon one day, when Professor Dahlinger, of the Academy of Fine Arts, chanced to call. He was much struck by them, and placing his hand upon the young boy's shoulder, he said, 'You, my lad, have the making of a distinguished artist!"

In Florence the following year, Dr. Leighton also spoke with American sculptor Hiram Powers and gave the artist some of his son's drawings so that he might give him an unbiased and candid opinion of their merits. A week passed with no reply and somewhat impatient, Dr. Leighton called upon the sculptor, who said to him, 'Sir, your son may be as eminent as he pleases. As a rule, you know, I discourage young lads from becoming artists, but in this case I cannot.' 

'It was a serious time for me,' said Frederick Leighton, many years afterwards. 'I remember so well that afternoon on which my father went to get Hiram Powers' decision. I sat down to my anatomical study to while away my time. Presently I heard the sound of wheels on the gravel outside. I threw down my work and ran to meet my father. He stepped lightly and smiling out of the carriage. I felt he had good news!' This interview settled the question of Frederick Leighton's future. Dr. Leighton consented to his son's following Art, on condition that his general education should not suffer.

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Lord Leighton of Stretton, P.R.A." by Edgcumbe Staley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment