Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Ella Condie Lamb: A Conflict of Interests

"Portrait of Mary Dale" by Ella Condie Lamb
"Ella Condie Lamb's father, James, offered to pay for another year of study in Europe. Ella's reply is an important letter because it eloquently expresses her understanding of herself and her personality, and because it shows that she sees clearly the consequences of the choice she must make. A sense of plight blends with common sense: it would not be possible to be a famous artist, to be 'truly great,' which to her meant to create, not imitate, while at the same time live a traditional family life. She has come to realize that one must give up everything to be 'great,' including 'all my most womanly instincts.'
One cannot help but be moved by her gentle effort to set forth that reality to the father who saw the potential for greatness in his gifted daughter: 
 
January 25, 1885
My dear Papa, This morning I received your letter containing the startling proposition of my staying abroad until the summer of '86.
 
Please do not think that the time and money spent in my coming abroad have been wasted so far, as regards an art education. I feel sure that I have gained more in doing what I have been doing - namely - seeing the good and grand examples of art in the galleries, museums and buildings, in taking in new ideas about all sorts of things and in having a little time to myself in which to get those ideas a little straightened, than I should have gained had I actually been at work at an art school which probably would not have differed essentially from the League.
 
It is the fine pictures and the surroundings of the Art schools here that make them superior. We have found that Herkomer's school was not a success and now that I have your permission, I am all ready to start for Paris, only waiting money and directions about same...
 
As for my staying another year, I cannot at present bear to contemplate the idea of being away from home another long year - but that possibility can be decided after two or three months at a Paris school.
 
I have had all the conceit taken out of me by seeing things here - not of my powers of imitation - but, I have learnt that that is not all that is needful - and to be truly great, one must be able to create - and interpret - Nature.
 
Papa, were I a boy, and able to give up all my time, future and interest and duties, for years and years to the one pursuit, I would not feel so - but, as I am a girl, and as there always have been duties, so I suppose there always will be duties, to divide my time and energies.
 
By all this, I do not mean that my studies are useless, oh no! I always will work whenever I have the chance - but I do not want you to expect as much from me as if I were a boy and could give up everything for it.
 
You know it is one of my greatest wishes to have a home - and so unless I lose all my most womanly instincts and feelings I am afraid I shall never be a 'great artist,' in the sense of making a name and fame for myself - although, as I always have, so will I always try to work, whenever I can. 
 
I cannot tell you how much good this winter is doing me, not only in the art sense, but in every other! But, I cannot yet say I would like to stay another year...'"
 
Her letter gives us valuable insight into the values of that time and helps us understand some of the issues that faced female artists.

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Ella's Certain Window" by Barea Lamb Seeley.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment