Thursday, November 16, 2023

Ella Condie Lamb: Paris

Sketches from Paris by Ella Condie Lamb
"Ella Condie Lamb and Miss Metcalf settled into Paris at 44 Rue Madame. She enrolled in classes taught by Collins and Courtois in the Colarossi Academy. Here she learned the rudiments of sculpture and wrote home in a somewhat discouraged tone:

'I have been modeling in clay as usual and I feel I must learn something, although I will have nothing to show you, as things get broken up and the clay reused, and I could not get the casts home even if the things were good enough to be taken.' 

This study deepened her understanding of the workings of the human body. New strength and power appear in her life drawing at this time. Her increased ability in life drawing can be seen in one of the few surviving drawings from her time in Paris. She described one of the models, '...the garcon at school is an old man, with a splendid head of shaggy grey hair - a model - named Arc Angelo. I always want to call him Michelangelo or else Arch Angel.'

Though the paper is extremely brittle and yellowed, Ella's Parisian drawings demonstrate the development of her natural skill and the reason for which Charles de Kay, art critic for 'The New York Times,' praised Ella's 'faultless drawing.' She had a very happy time in Paris, not only because of her art lessons but also with friends who happened to be there at the same time. As well as her girlfriends, these included Dick and Charles Lamb whom she had met in New York. 

She did not stay the entire year but wanted to go home. 

'I have bought my ticket (with Mr. Lamb's kind assistance, who sails himself tomorrow)... I shall be home,' she penned, 'if all goes well, Sunday after next and sit with you in our pew at church. I do not know where you are going to put me at first - with you at Austin's or with Kittie - but will find out when I come. Until then good-bye - love to all - and so very much to yourself. From your daughter, Ella G. Condie'

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Ella's Certain Window" by Barea Lamb Seeley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment