Saturday, June 29, 2024

George P.A. Healy: A Start

"Sanford Robinson Gifford" by George Healy
"In the autumn of 1831 I ventured to hire a painting room, or what could pass for such, in  Federal Street, Boston. I was then eighteen, and very determined to make my way in the world. I was the happy possessor of an easel, paintbrushes and canvases, and I nailed outside my door a board with my name and profession printed in very big letters. 

All I needed to make me perfectly happy was a sitter. Unfortunately the big sin failed to attract one, adn though I painted my own portrait with a student's cap jauntily perched on one side and my beardless face treated as spiritedly as possible, I was not much richer when rent day came around than if I had remained idly twirling my thembs. Having no money to give Mr. Tucker, I went frankly to him and told him about my trouble. I felt sure that some day I should have sitters, but unluckily that day had not come. Mr. Tucker smiled and said kindly: 'You shall at least have a fair chance; paint me a portrait of my son Charles, and one of my son-in-law John H. Gray. Who knows? This first commission may bring others in its wake. Till then, don't let the rent trouble you!' 

I do not know whether I was more fortunate than other beginners, but I seemed always, when things were turning against me, to find some kind hand stretched out to help me. These two portraits are the first I ever exhibited, and they attracted some attention."

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Reminiscences of a Portrait Painter" by G.P.A. Healy.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment