Friday, May 19, 2023

Lilla Cabot Perry: In Which We Say Farewell

"Edwin Arlington Robinson" by Lilla Cabot Perry
"American poet and three-time Pulitzer Prize winner, Edwin Arlington Robinson wrote to Margaret Perry, New York, March 1, 1933, on Lilla Cabot Perry's death:

Dear Miss Perry, It was a great shock and surprise to me to read this morning of your mother's sudden death. It was only a short time ago that I received what appeared to be a rather eventful letter from her, and I was confidently expecting to see her again this summer as in summers past. I knew of course that she was feeble, but I had no thought of her going so soon. 

There is perhaps no need of my trying to tell you that you have my deepest sympathy, for you know that - as you know how much her friendship has meant to me for so many years. I don't believe that any woman ever lived who had a kinder heart - and a more thoroughly generous nature. In face she was really too kind and too generous for her own happiness, sometimes; and that is a fault with which few of us are afflicted.

 She had more to bear in her later years than anyone should have to bear, and in saying this I am not forgetting you, your sense of loss will be very great, but you will hardly, for her sake, wish her back; for...far away, I feel somehow..it came as she had wished it might.

I shall think of her as long as I live as a very dear friend, and I like to believe that she knew my thoughts of her while she was living. Yours most sincerely, E.A. Robinson"

(Excerpts from "Lilla Cabot Perry: An American Impressionist" by Meredith Martindale.)

No comments:

Post a Comment