Thursday, May 18, 2023

Lilla Cabot Perry: A Letter from Philip Hale

"Portrait of Mrs Joseph Clark Grew (Alice Perry)"
by Lilla Cabot Perry
"Through Lilla Cabot Perry's friendship with Edmund Tarbell and Frank Benson, she arranged a teaching position for Philip Hale at the Museum School in Boston in 1893. Hale was deeply grateful and wrote her this letter:"

Philip Hale to L.C. Perry, Giverny, June 1, 189

"Dear Mrs. Perry, I can't tell you half how good and kind you seem to me to have been, in looking after my prospect so vigorously. It's impossible to thank you enough; so I must ask you to take a lot on credit. Of course I shall accept: that is when I get the formal offer which has not yet arrived. As you say, it will be pleasant working under two such clever men as Tarbell and Benson. Tarbell was one of my teachers at the Museum. Since then I have not seen him. Benson, I only know by reputation. 

I had meant to come home anyway this winter and make a try for it: so your kind offices have got me this change just in the nick of time. You can't imagine what it is to have something sure - the last three years have given me enough of the hand o' mouth game. 

Since I'm talking so much about myself, you may be glad to know that I had 5 pictures received at the New Salon and pretty well hung - two on the line, etc. Good luck one sees - like misfortunes - never comes singly. I suppose you have seen or heard from the [Dawson] Watsons who left the other day. They were full of your praises and I didn't wonder, when I heard how many pictures you had helped them to sell... I thank you again for your kindness - how can I enough? 

And am Yours most sincerely, Philip Hale

As a result of the Perry's intervention on his behalf Hale began teaching cast drawing at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, in 1893, where he remained on the faculty until his death in 1931. Eventually he became the chief instructor of drawing, and also offered courses in life drawing, artistic anatomy, and art history. Hale also taught at the Worcester Art Museum (1898-1910), the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (1913-1928), and Boston University (1926-1928)."

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Lilla Cabot Perry: An American Impressionist" by Meredith Martindale.) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment