Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Philip de Laszlo: Back to Studies in Munich

Philip de Laszlo as a Student in Paris
"Philip de Laszlo had been in correspondence with his former master, Professor Liezenmayer, with the object of returning to Munich. Eventually it was arranged that he should return to the Royal Bavarian Academy as a 'composition student' - painting compositions instead of studies - with a studio of his own. Full of fresh enthusiasm for his work, he left Budapest at the end of September, 1891. His narrative continues:

'My studio was on the second floor of the Royal Bavarian Academy, in the corner of the building. I was delighted to have a studio of my own, and the extra amenity of heating provided by the State of Bavaria. The State also paid the expenses of cleaning and gave every student an allowance to pay for models.

Two days after I had taken possession of the studio, my master invited me to tea at his house, and there I was introduced to Frau Marie Valentin, the good and charming lady who was to have such an important influence on my life.

Professor Liezenmayer was always extremely kind to me, and, knowing that my financial circumstances were not of the best, he arranged for me to have a room in the Valentins' house, which was refined, comfortable and delightful. They were well-to-do people - he a retired business man, very cultured with a great interest in the art world of Munich, and about seventy-five years of age. I soon felt like their adopted son. They were much interested in my work, and entered eagerly into my ambitions.

Professor Liezenmayer lived in the same street, on the third floor of a big house. I was privileged to visit him from time to time, and I also had the exceptional honour of calling almost daily on him at the Academy where he too, like all the masters, had a studio to see him at his work, and accompany him for a walk. The walks and discussions with my master, who was thirty years older than I, were certainly of great influence on my inner life, and I cherish their memories."

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Portrait of a Painter" by Owen Rutter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment