Thursday, December 1, 2022

William Merritt Chase: Self-Portrait for Richmond, Indiana, Pt. 2

"Self-Portrait" by William Merritt Chase
"The next year when in New York I hurried to William Merritt Chase's studio, I found no portrait ready. He had only excuses. He had been too busy with his pupils, his portrait commissions, and summers in Italy to think of doing his own head - but he would get at it soon. He was so sorry to disappoint me and so gracious in showing me his latest works that I had to forget my disappointment and try to smile, but before leaving I said, 'Mr. Chase we have waited a year for our picture. I think you might put some of this interesting still life in the portrait, these twinkling new tubes of paint and this bowl on the table.' 'All right,' he said, 'I will. I'll make you something nice.'

The next year when I called at his studio he was busy getting ready for a sitter but asked me in and began profuse apologies for not having our portrait head ready but declared that he would soon do it. To avoid showing my extreme annoyance (I did want to get that portrait sometime) I resorted to the pleasantry of the year before and suggested that since we had waited two years, he should put in our picture that beautiful gold box and the blue vase with the brushes. He was amused and with a most enthusiastic bit of acting, declared he would put them in with their rich coloring and that he would make us a fine picture.

The third year I went to New York there was still no portrait. I had some difficulty in keeping a smiling face but I listened patiently to his earnest protestations that he could certainly soon paint a head for us. I made an effort at friendliness and said, 'Now we have waited three years. Please put in that brilliant pile of old brocades by the window that are so lovely in the afternoon sunlight.' He declared dramatically that he would put in everything I wanted and that he would make us something important, and he asked, 'Wouldn't you like a fish too?' 'No,' I replied, 'I fear there would not be room for your head which is what we want.' 

When I had given up all hope of ever getting a Chase head for our Richmond gallery and had gone in 1915 to San Francisco to serve as Senior Docent in the Fine Arts Palace of the World's Fair, I again met William Chase who was there serving on the Jury of Awards. We renewed our friendly acquaintance but I did not mention the portrait. He did, and assured me that it would be finished when I would be in New York early in 1916. But would it really?

To be continued

(Excerpts from "The Art Movement in Richmond, Indiana: A History" by Ella Bond Johnston. My thanks to Richmond Art Museum director, Shaun Dingwerth, for sending me a copy of this story.)

No comments:

Post a Comment