Friday, December 23, 2022

Philip de Laszlo: Military Service

"Sir Charles Burn" by Philip de Laszlo
At the age of eighteen every man in Hungary without exception, had to present himself for military service and undergo a medical examination. The thought of this had given Philip de Laszlo great anxiety because his lack of a proper education meant he would have to serve three years in the army instead of one. However, taking initiative as always, he attended special evening classes that enabled him not only to pass the needed exam, but also choose the branch of the army he wished to join and the time for his military service. This enabled him to pursue his art studies freely until his twenty-third birthday when he would join the Infantry.

At twenty-three he said goodbye to the Valentins in Munich and left all his studio belongings with them until his return. He took his pictures, the 'Hofbrauhaus' and another called 'L'Incroyable,' planning to exhibit them at the Winter Exhibition in Budapest. He also took a number of studies hoping that he might sell some of his work to defray his expenses.

He wrote: "As the first of October approached, my dear mother and all at home became very depressed. When I showed myself to them, dressed up as a soldier, they were all in tears. Until then I had been independent, eager to work, to study to become an artist, free as an eagle.

I had to report at the barracks at six o'clock next morning. My mother got up about five and prepared coffee for me before I set off. It was strange leaving the house so early. The street lamps were still alight. There was no one but a sleepy milkman about, and it was a dark misty morning. When I reached the main entrance, a sentry saluted me. I had not the slightest notion that his salute was meant for me and did not return it. I was stopped and taken to the orderly officer. 'Don't you know you have to salute the sentry on entering the barracks?' he began. 'No,' I replied. 'Don't answer me back!' he shouted. 'And remember next time!" Voila - such was my first experience.

From six to eight every morning we were drilled on the barrack square. From eight to nine we had an interval for breakfast, then assembled at the Cadet School until lunch. In the afternoon there was drill again. After a fortnight, I came to the conclusion that during the coming twelve months I must put aside all thoughts of art and become a soldier and nothing else. Art and militarism are incompatible.

After six weeks all this military glory came to an end. Through the constant marching I developed varicose veins which caused me much pain. I also have a physical defect - one of my toes is more developed than the others. My case met with sympathy, as I was a young artist with two scholarships, and after appearing before a military board I was dismissed from the army for ever."

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Portrait of a Painter" by Owen Rutter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment