Thursday, December 15, 2022

Philip de Laszlo: Studies in Munich

"Lady Wantage" by Philip de Laszlo
"Munich! How different, how modest, hard-working! There I found art, science, strength, self-confidence. All that made a great appeal to me. I knew a few Hungarian students from Budapest, and visited them for advice. I had my scholarship, and therefore I wanted to become a member of the Royal Bavarian Academy of Art, but entrance would be difficult since it was the middle of the term. 

The director granted me an interview, expressed approval of my work and told me to paint a study for criticism, promising that if it were satisfactory he would take me. I left him happy and confident of success. I took an old man as model.He had a long beard and wore and big black felt hat. He was a professional model, a cheerful old fellow. I spent about a week painting his portrait, during which time I led a life of the utmost seclusion. When the study was finished I showed it to the directory, who put my name before the council, with the result that I was received as a regular student forthwith.

I rented a room the same day. In the mornings I got my own breakfast, brewing my coffee, and had my midday meal in a small restaurant opposite the Academy, where I could eat well for 1.50 marks. In the evenings I brought home something cold for myself. I could buy a new loaf at the street corner for six pfennigs, and a sausage for twenty at the meat shop, where I could enjoy, at least, the delicious smell of roasting pork. Thus I did not spend much money and lived on my savings. My scholarship money I hardly ever used, and gave most of it to my sister Szerena to buy her wedding outfit. But I often think now that I was too frugal when I remember how I sat working in my overcoat through the long winter evenings without a fire.

I was not popular with my fellows. I lived for my work, and even in the evenings I remained in my room, while my countrymen spent their nights drinking and card playing. In the mornings some of them would sneak off behind the folding screen in the studio to sleep. During work in the painting class it was the custom to have a tankard of beer on the floor by one's side. The Germans drank continuously. If the lid of a mug were left open, the studio servant would bring along another.

As I look back, I can see that I was perhaps at this period of my life of a too serious turn of mind. But I had already ten years of hard work behind me, and I wished to use every hour profitably. I had a feeling of great responsibility towards my own future, and I was desperately anxious to become of real help to my mother and sisters as soon as I could."    `

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Portrait of a Painter" by Owen Rutter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment