Saturday, December 31, 2022

Philip de Laszlo: A Royal Command

"Wilhelmina Cassel" by Philip de Laszlo
"For his honeymoon Philip de Laszlo took his bride to the English Lakes, new country to both of them, but while they were at Windermere he received a command from Queen Victoria to paint the portrait of General Sir George White, who had recently returned from the Boer War. De Laszlo had been hoping to obtain permission to paint the Queen, but her preoccupation with the war had made it impossible. Now that she had given him this commission instead, he could not decline it,even though it meant the honeymoon being interrupted.

A studio was found for him in London and the sittings began. The Queen took a great interest in the portrait and wished to see it immediately upon its completion. De Laszlo inquired whether it would be proper of him to show it to Her Majesty in person. But his contact replied, 'It will be the best if you send the portrait... It will remain in the Queen's room so that Her Majesty will be able to inspect it when she has time to do so.' So the portrait was sent to Windsor and de Laszlo was informed that Her Majesty was very pleased with it. 

But before he could obtain a commission from Queen Victoria, she died. Later when he asked the Austro-Hungarian Ambassador to help him gain a commission paint her successors, King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra, he was told, "I fear I cannot give you much hope. English artists complained so much that the late Queen preferred foreign painters, that I am afraid their Majesties will not easily be persuaded to sit to a foreigner.'

However, de Laszlo was not entirely preoccupied with the great. He could find spare moments to advise and encourage beginners, even though they were very young, as this letter shows:

'Dear Mr. Philip Laszlo, Artist-Painter,

I must apologize for again worrying you with my drawings. In December I received your very esteemed letter, for which I repeat my thanks. I have followed your advice and am diligently drawing all sorts of subjects. Now I again sending you some drawings and beg you to tell me your opinion of them. I am passing my examination for the 4th Class and shall be nine years old on 27th of October. Now I would beg you to tell me where I should study in order to develop my ability in drawing. Looking forward to your kind reply, I remain, Buchwald Laczi

There can be little doubt that this persistence, so like that of his own youth, warmed de Laszlo's heart towards the little boy."

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Portrait of a Painter" by Owen Rutter.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment