Friday, December 2, 2022

William Merritt Chase: Self-Portrait for Richmond, Indiana, Pt. 3

"Self-Portrait in the 4th Avenue Studio" by William Merritt Chase
Ella Johnston wrote: "This was to be my last call on Mr. William Merritt Chase and I planned to be serious and severe. I wrote him several weeks before going, the date of my arrival and that I would expect to find the portrait finished as he had promised. I phoned him as soon as I was settled and was greeted warmly and told that the portrait was finished, that he had done an important canvas which he thought would please me. He asked me to bring Mr. Warner Leeds, who was giving $500 towards the work, and come to the studio the next morning. 

Mr. Chase met us at the door with beaming face and gave us a gracious welcome. He seemed that morning to be keyed up to an unusually high pitch. He led us across the the first studio and turning to the right we found ourselves immediately in front of a very large painting on an easel in the middle of the room.

A photo of Mr. Chase's portrait in his studio
With one swift glance I saw on the canvas not only a three-quarters portrait of the painter but all the still life I had asked for. For a full half minute, which can be a long time, I was absolutely dumb, then I stole a glance at Mr. Leeds to see the effect on him. He looked anything but pleased, and I knew instantly that he was thinking, 'They are about to hold me up for several thousand dollars.' Chase saw Mr. Leed's dilemma and said, 'No, no, I have not forgotten what you are to pay me.' 'But not this painting, Mr. Chase,' I said. 'Yes,' he replied, 'this is your picture!'

Then with the greatest enthusiasm and much stroking of his mustache he told Mr. Leeds what fun he had had in bringing into the composition all the still life I had suggested, and yet keep the picture the portrait of a painter. He was happy to have so much of his studio in the picture. I asked him what was on the empty canvas in the painting. 'That,' said Mr. Chase, 'is my masterpiece, the alluring, tantalizing great picture which I always hoped to paint and have never quite succeeded in creating.' He was in the white heat of accomplishment. It was a thrilling revelation that I shall never forget.

Finally Mr. Leeds, still a little mystified, said, 'But Mr. Chase why did you do this? Why did you paint such an important work when we only asked for a head?' The painter replied, 'Indeed, I could get more money for it than you are to pay me. A dealer this morning offered me a handsome price for it but I told him the painting was already sold.' 'Why did I paint it? I will tell you, I painted it for Mrs. Johnston here, I think she deserves it for all she has done for art in Indiana and the West.

It was a grand gesture, characteristic of Mr. Chase. He would have made it freely, magnificently though he had not a dollar left in his pocket. Such was the man. He lived well - beautifully, and, I am told, died poor."

To be continued

(Excerpts from "The Art Movement in Richmond, Indiana: A History" by Ella Bond Johnston. My thanks to Richmond Art Museum director, Shaun Dingwerth, for sending me a copy of this story.)

No comments:

Post a Comment