Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Philip de Laszlo: Winner

"Portrait of Princess Max Egon von Hohenlohe-Langenburg,
born María de la Piedad de Yturbe" by Philip de Laszlo
Philip de Laszlo wrote: "The Academy of Arts in Budapest held three public exhibitions a year, in spring, autumn and at Christmas. The Emperor Francis Joseph, King of Hungary, placed at the disposal of the Academy a fund from which a committee had to select two, or at most three, works from each exhibition to be purchased as additions to the collections at the Royal palaces.

In 1888, when I was nineteen years of age, I decided, after much deliberation, to send in one of my works for the Christmas exhibition, and the work I chose was entitled 'The Goose-girl.' The pictures went before a selection committee of professors of art and directors of schools of art, among whom was my own master, Professor Lotz.

I well remember the night when the committee held its final sitting to descide on the pictures for the Christmas exhibition. I had told no one, not even my mother, that I had submitted a picture, because I felt that I could not bear the hurt to my pride if it were rejected. At last the members of the committee came out, stood a moment bidding each other good-night, and then departed to their homes. I waited until Professor Lotz was alone, then addressed him. I had hardly begun to speak when he realized what I wanted to know.

'Your picture is accepted, my dear boy, I congratulate you,' he broke in. He too was proud and happy since I was his pupil. Yet another piece of good fortune awaited me for the 'Goosegirl' was one of the three chosen to be bought for the Royal collection.

I now decided to try for a Hungarian State scholarship, and sent in some of my work for it. Three of these were granted every year. No doubt my picture having been accepted for the exhibition and bought for the Royal collection helped, and I also had the recommendation of Professor Lotz. I received the scholarship, which amounted to three hundred florins. 

I was now ready to go abroad, to leave my home and my native land for the first time. My uncle Philip asked me to paint the portraits of his mother and father, and also of his wife's parents. In return for these four portraits he provided me with all the linen I required for my stay in Venice, where I had decided to continue my studies."

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Portrait of a Painter" by Owen Rutter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment