Wednesday, July 10, 2024

George P. A. Healy: Chicago Bound

"William Butler Ogden" by George Healy
"A trifling incident changed the course of my life. Among the Americans who visited Paris somewhat before the Universal Exhibition of 1855 was William B. Ogden, one of the 'fathers' of the young city of Chicago. I do not know if, during my long career, I have ever met a man of greater charm of manner. The world 'genial' seemed made for him. Remarkably intelligent, very well informed, a delightful talker, full of energy, of will, of originality, he seemed destined by nature to be a leader. He had from the first believed in the marvellous future of the small town, where a few years before there had stood but a fort.

His descriptions of the new city fired my imagination. I had often thought of returning to the United States and settling there, but the difficulty of moving with a large family, the uncertainty as to where I should go, the fear of being considered by my country people as a 'blasted foreigner,' had made me hesitate. Then too, I had been engaged on large works more easily accomplished in Paris than elsewhere. Now my second large picture finished, ready for the great exhibition, and I was free to shape my course otherwise.

My. Ogden most warmly urged me to start for Chicago, offering me the hospitality of his house, promising his support, and predicting success. I quickly made up my mind, and in the autumn of 1855 started for Chicago, leaving my family in Paris."

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Reminiscences of a Portrait Painter" by G. P. A. Healy.)


No comments:

Post a Comment