Thursday, July 11, 2024

George P. A. Healy: Opportunity in the Windy City

"Mrs. Thomas B. Bryan" by George Healy
"It will not be a matter of surprise when I say that land agents, merchants, and bankers were more plentiful than artists in Chicago. I arrived therefore at an excellent moment: prosperity was almost universal. Every man felt that he was rich or would soon be so. 

I regret not having kept an account of the portraits I painted during the first twelve months of my sojourn in the city. But perhaps it is just as well, as I might be taxed with exaggeration. I was then in the full strength of my years, capable of much fatigue, not dreaming that I should later have to pay for this overstraining of my nerves and this excess of work. 

One of my first pictures was a group of Mr. Sheldon and his two young children, which became very popular. I am glad of this opportunity of speaking not only of Mr. Ogden, whose guest I was during this first year, but also of Mr. and Mrs. Sheldon, who took me into their delightful home circle as one of their own.

Indeed it would be impossible for me to speak here of all the kind friends I made at this happy time. The old settlers welcomed and encouraged me. Lifelong friendships began then which neither time nor long absence could undermine. Among the most successful portraits I painted at this time I can mention that of Mrs. Thomas B. Bryan, whose hospitable house was always open to me and mine. Mr. Bryan and I agreed on many points, but the greatest bond of sympathy perhaps was our respective wives.

I was so flattered, so delighted with my Chicago reception that I sent for my family, and in November, 1856, we settled in a tall frame house on Ontario Street. Then in 1857 we moved into the country for the sake of the children's health. We were still settled at Cottage Hill, now Elmhurst - the elder children at school, the young ones running wild like young colts - when the war broke out."

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Reminiscences of a Portrait Painter" by G. P. A. Healy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment