Wednesday, July 24, 2024

George P. A. Healy: King Louis Philippe

"George Washington" by George Healy
"An incident interrupted my course, and my life was shaped after a very different fashion. Our Minister at the court of France was then General Cass. I had painted a large portrait of the General, which had been accepted in the annual exhibit in the Louvre. When King Louis Philippe visited the exhibition, he examined the General's portrait with interest, and asked abruptly where the young fellow who painted it was at that time. 

I soon found myself in Paris at his Majesty's orders. Before beginning the portrait I advanced toward the King, so as to take the measure of his face, using a compass for that purpose. One of the courtiers, seeing the gleam of steel in my hand rushed upon me and pushed me aside. With a smile, Louis Philippe said: 'Mr. Healy is a republican, it is true, but he is an American. I am quite safe with him.'

On another occasion - it was one of the early sittings devoted to deciding on the attitude - I was making a chalk drawing of the King. While we were trying various views of the head, the aide de camp de service who assisted at the sitting threw himself into an exaggerated and theatrical attitude, exclaiming, 'Voila une pose, Sire!' The King forwned and said severely, 'Monsieur le general!' The poor General instantly bowed so low that he seemed to double up and he humbly muttered, 'Je retracte, Sire, je retracte!' It was an insignificant little incident, but it showed me clearly what were, inevitably, the relations of sovereign and courtier.

Louis Philippe grew interested in his portrait, and his family with him. Madame Adelaide especially, sister to the King, never missed a sitting, and I saw familiarly at that time many famous men whose names are now historical; among others, Marechal Soult, then Minister of War, whom I painted later.

The King's portrait, which belonged to General Cass, proved a success. Louis Philippe sent for me one morning and said, 'Mr. Healy, I understand that I was seen last evening at your Minister's in very good company - between Washington and Guizot, both painted by you. Where and how did you copy your Washington?' I had simply copied it from an engraving after Stuart's portrait of Washington, not having the original within my reach. The King then told me that while he and his brother were in the United States they had seen Stuart at work on that portrait, and that during the sittings Washington had conversed with the young princes. 'And I want you to make me a copy of that very portrait.' 

The great difficulty was to know where to find it, but Louis Philippe announced about a week later, 'Mr. Healy, we are dished! The portrait is in Russia, and, under present circumstances, I can ask nothing of the Russian Government. What are we to do? I must have my Washington. I have set my heart on it!' In the end I found that the portrait which Louis Philippe fancied was in Russia was in realityin England, having been purchased by an American, the late John D. Lewis. The trustees of the estate allowed me to do my copy from it. The King graciously declared himself well pleased with my work and gave me orders for various other copies, which are still to be seen in the Place of Versailles."

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Reminiscences of a Portrait Painter" by G. A. P. Healy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment