Friday, July 26, 2024

George P. A. Healy: General Jackson

"General Jackson" by George Healey
"Louis Philippe, King of France, whose sympathies with our country are well known, ordered me to paint portraits of American statesmen for the Versailles Gallery. Early in the spring of 1845 he sent me to see General Andrew Jackson in that regard saying, 'Mr. Healy, I hear that General Jackson is very ill. You must start at once for the Hermitage.'

His country place was within twelve miles of Nashville, Tennessee.  I drove to the old hero's door to find that General Jackson was suffering from moving dropsy, and for forty days and forty nights had been unable to lie down. He was worn out with fatigue and pain, and it was not without difficulty that I was admitted to his presence. But I was so full of my object, so eager, that I at once made my request. At any rate, he answered curtly, 'Can't sit, sir. Not for all the kings in Christendom!'

Sick at heart with the disappointment, I bowed and left the irascible old man. But a solution was in the air. In Nashville a friend advised me to see a Mrs. Jackson, who happened to be at a friend's house that very day. She was a great favorite with the General and after listening to my story and read the King's letter, which I had neglected to show to the General, promised to do her best to persuade him, which she managed to do.

When the General saw me, he said, 'Sir, you made a faux pas yesterday. You should have shown me the King's letter.' After this things went on very pleasantly and easily. I was admitted into the sickroom as much as I chose, and the General before long seemed to like to have me near him. He was as polite and gracious as he had been unfriendly and curt. But he suffered greatly, and once said, 'I wish I could do you greater justice as a sitter, Mr. Healy.'

When the portrait was finished the family assembled to see it. All approved it so warmly that the General begged me to make a copy of it for his adopted children. I replied that a copy never had the living look of an original, and that if he could endure the fatigue of further sittings this first portrait should be for him, and I could paint another for Louis Philippe. This he readily agreed to. Then at his request I also painted a whole-length portrait of his daughter, who was the one who persuaded him to sit for me."

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Reminiscences of a Portrait Painter" by G. A. P. Healy.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment