Thursday, July 25, 2024

George P. A. Healy: Pope Pius IX

"Portrait of Pope Pius IX (1871)"
by George Healy

"During my stay in Rome I painted from memory a portrait of Pope Pius IX. His Holiness, having seen this unfinished work, liked it, and consented to give me a few sittings. This was a great favor, which I highly appreciated.

I was introduced one morning into Pius IX's library, a pleasant room, simply enough furnished, full of book the table covered with papers. The Pope was dressed all in white cloth, with scarlet shoes; the hair was white, the face rather place with very bright eyes, not incapable of sparkle, for his Holiness knew how to take a joke.

He was a pretty good sitter, but somewhat restless, and curious also as to what his painter was about. On once occasion he arose from his seat to look over my shoulder.  When I am earnestly at work, I wish my sitters in the attitude  I have chosen. I exclaimed, perhaps a little abruptly: 'I beg your Holiness to sit down.' The Pope laughed and said, 'I am accustomed to give orders, not to receive them. But you see, My. Healy, that I also know how to obey,' and submissively went back to his chair.

Pius IX has been dead now many a year. I like to remember his quiet, pleasant talk, his rather Italian-sounding French, his judgments of men and things. One day, speaking of a monk who had left the Church and married, he observed, not without glee: 'He has taken his punishment in his own hands.' I often think, also, of Pius IX's gentle reproach to one of my countrymen who, in his American pride, refused to bend before him: 'My son, an old man's blessing never did harm to to any one."

To be continued

(Excerpts from "Reminiscences of a Portrait Painter" by G. P. A. Healy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment